Notify is the online notifications service offered by the Digital Transformation Agency (DTA), that provides government entities the capability to send emails and text messages to their users. Notify is currently in a Beta testing stage.
A notification typically takes the form of status updates, requests for action, acknowledgement of receipt of applications or supporting information, and reminders. Notify makes it easier to keep people updated, by helping service teams across government send text messages and emails to their users.
Government entities will continue to collect, manage and control their users’ contact information and preferences. Notify simply processes the notification to users of the service at the request of the service team. Notify is not a contact database for Australian citizens.
- complete and provide your organisation’s information assurance processes
- inform us immediately of any security breaches
- keep your API keys secure
- get the right levels of consent (to send messages and to use data)
- not send unsolicited messages, only ones related to the transaction or relevant information the user has subscribed to (as per the Spam Act 2003)
- send messages that adhere to the Digital Service Standard
- not send messages containing any personally or commercially sensitive information
- check that the data you add to Notify is accurate and complies with relevant Australian data laws and principles
If you don’t keep to these terms, we may cancel your subscription and your messages may not be sent.
- show how Notify is performing through our status page
- keep your data secure
The Notify service is open to Australian Government, state, territory and local government bodies.
You can set up a trial account and start using Notify immediately.
In trial mode you can:
- only send messages to yourself
- add people to your team, then you can send messages to them too
- only send 50 messages per day
You can request to go live, when you have:
- Have more than one team member with the ‘Manage service’ permission
- Create templates showing the kind of messages you plan to send
With Notify, you can:
- send emails
- send and receive text messages (Australia and internationally)
- create messages and templates quickly and easily
- customise your branding
- send messages in bulk or individually
- track your activity
- manage your team
- send messages reliably
You don’t need any technical knowledge to use Notify. See our features page to find out more.
The DTA may provide training sessions for service teams and team leaders at the request of a service. These training sessions can be conducted online, at a DTA office, or at another venue depending on staff availability and location.
The DTA will provide support during business hours 9am-5pm (local Sydney time) Monday to Friday, excluding NSW public holidays.
We will give you our level 1 support mobile phone number when we approve your transition from a trial account to a live account.
All support is subject to DTA resourcing constraints.
See our pricing page to find out more.
Notify is built for the needs of government services. It has processes in place to:
- protect user data
- keep systems secure
- manage risks around information
System administrators of Notify have, at a minimum, a Baseline Level security clearance as issued by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
Contact us to request a copy of the Notify penetration test summary.
Permissions and two-factor authentication
You can set different user permissions in Notify to control who in your team has access to certain parts of the service.
Notify uses two-factor authentication. To sign in to Notify, you’ll need to enter:
- your government email address and your Notify password
- a text message code that Notify sends to your mobile phone
In line with the Digital Service Standard, all code behind Notify is open source and available on our GitHub repository. Notify uses JSON Web Tokens, so API keys aren’t sent over the wire.
How we manage risks on Notify
Things we do to manage risks on Notify include:
- regular privacy reviews
- security impact assessments
Anyone can raise an issue for Notify. You can contact us us to:
- report a bug
- request a feature
- raise a security concern
Our service standard to responding to raised issues is 48 hours. We will endeavour to address critical issues as soon possible, dependent on resourcing restraints.
Privacy and data controls
In Notify, your organisation is the data controller and the DTA the data processor. Both parties are legally responsible for compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and other relevant legislation.
- data is encrypted in transit
- any user user data you upload is encrypted at rest
Any user data you upload is only held for 7 days, after which time it will be deleted.
Notify complies with:
- the obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
- Australian Government Agencies Privacy Code
Protect sensitive information
Notify makes a copy of messages you send available through the dashboard for 7 days after sending.
Messages that you send may include sensitive information like security codes or password reset links. They may also include personal information.
If you’re sending a message with sensitive information or personal information, you can choose to hide those details from view through the Notify dashboard. This means that only the message recipient will be able to see that information, while service team users of Notify will not.
You can read more about your obligations for managing personal information on the website for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
You can leave Notify at any time. Just contact us and we will close your account.
If you decide to leave, we will delete all your data from Notify.
The DTA can terminate Notify at any time and for any reason by providing 30 days notice to your organisation’s technical representative.
If the DTA terminates Notify, the DTA will work cooperatively with your organisation to offboard your service.